Magnolia, TX 77355 United States
BOOTS FOR TROOPS CHILI COOK-OFF OFFICIAL RULES & JUDGING
The following rules are to be adhered to by all cook-off cooks, judges and/or assistants:
1. True chili is defined as any kind of meat or combination of meats cooked with chili peppers, various other spices, and other ingredients with the exceptions of items such as beans or spaghetti, which are forbidden. Green chili will not be accepted – only red chili recipes.
2. The entry fee will be $25.00 per chili entered. Contestants may enter more than 1batch of chili. There will be an award for first place – a winner’s trophy and featured in a blog write up on Boots4Troops.org.
3. All ingredients must be cooked at the event
4. Contestants are responsible for supplying all their own utensils and products related to their chili submission and maintenance of its proper temperature for serving. NO ELECTRICITY will be available. Spoons and cups for use in serving chili to the public will be provided. Condiments will not be provided.
5. Each contestant must cook a minimum of eight (8) quarts of competition chili. A portion of this chili will be submitted to the judges and the rest will be for public consumption.
6. Each contestant will be assigned a “contestants’ number” by the scorekeeper and be given a container in which their chili will be collected for official judging.
7. The decision of the judges is final. Judging will be based on score cards which are numbered. 80% of the final tally will be from judges’ score cards. 20% will be from scorecards from “people’s choice.”
8. Each contestant is responsible for policing and cleaning up the area at the end of the day and removing all items from the area. There will not be an area for cleaning of dishes. No items shall be allowed to remain after the close of the Cook-off.
9. NO OUTSIDE ALCOHOL BEVERAGES. Teams will have an opportunity to pre purchase alcohol before the event. If caught with outside alcohol your team will be automatically disqualified with no refund.
In this competition the chili will be blind judged (no one knows the identity of the cook)and scorecards will be based on the following six characteristics:
1. Texture: The texture of the meat shall not be tough or mushy
2. Flavor: The chili should have good flavoring and chili pepper taste (not too hot or too mild)
3. Consistency: Chili should be a smooth combination of meat and gravy not too thin or too thick
4. Spice and taste: Blending of the spices and how well they have permeated the meat
5. Aroma: This will be a personal preference of the judge
6. Color: The submitted chili should look appetizing
There will be a People’s Choice ballot box for people to score the chili. Scorecards will be collected at the end of the judging and tallied and that score added to the final tally. Boots For Troops will provide the cups and spoons for sampling chili and 1quart container for your competition chili submission.