1. How long have you been with Magnolia Lions Club?
Magnolia Lions Club was chartered in 1956 and has been serving locally and globally ever since. I have been a member for 5 years.
2. What is your position/role at Magnolia Lions Club and what do you do daily?
Currently I serve as the President of the club and lead 38 other members in identifying community needs and finding ways to fill them. Whether its installing wheel chair ramps at veterans homes, or providing eye glasses to children in need or sending disabled children to summer camp for a week at no cost to their families, or priding a feast for or local first responders, we find ways to make it happen. We search for other nonprofits in the area that we can partner with as well.
3. What are some guiding principles or values you used to make your decision to get involved with Boots for Troops?
The Lions motto is “We Serve”. Our code of ethics states that we will Always to bear in mind my obligations as a citizen to my nation, my state, and my community, and to give them my unswerving loyalty in word, act, and deed. To give them freely of my time, labor and means. To Aid others by giving my sympathy to those in distress, my aid to the weak, and my substance to the needy.To Be Careful with my criticism and liberal with my praise; to build up and not destroy. All of these seemed to line up with BFT values. With the respect and honor we hold for all of our veterans it was a perfect fit for our club.
4. What is your affiliation with the military?
Our club has members who are former military, but we have no official affiliation. We have a passion to serve veterans both home and abroad. This past weekend, we participated in a “parade” for a Korean War, POW and Purple Heart recipient to celebrate his 89 th birthday. Over 100 cars decorated in Red White and Blue celebrated with this vet. What an honor to be in his presence.
5. What is your favorite thing about the organization?
That it serves our Military, without them, none of us would have what we have.
6. What is your contribution to the organization as a whole?
Magnolia Lions have donated $2,375.00 to BFT over the last few months because we believe in what you do. Personally, my wife and I are serving on the Concert in the Country committee and have brought 5 additional committee members to the team.
7. What would you like to see this organization do in the community that we don’t already do?
You do so much already. Continue to Identify and leverage community partners. The more we work with each other the more we can accomplish.
8. What difference would you like to make on the organization?
Serve and make a difference to our Men and Women.